Friday, November 27, 2009

Fighting A Virus

I have been working on a laptop since yesterday that was severely infected with to many virus's to list, I was unable to wipe it due to personal things on it they didnt want to loose, needless to say (did I mention I HATE WINDOWS) after running 3 Live cds DR web , Kaspersky and Bit-defender, I managed to remove all the virus's but networking was disabled and I removed all adapters and reinstalled them several times. I was still unable to get the laptop to get a IP from the DHCP host.
 I even used the winsock repair tool here, and I still have yet to get a connection. I think a format is in order.

This is a good tip for any windows users with connectivity issues.

system still gets an IP address within the 169.254.x.x range after the registry value "IPAutoconfigurationEnabled" has been set to 0 for the LAN adapter

registry key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip


a. Click Start, and type cmd in the Start Search box to open Command Prompt.
b. Type: ipconfig /all


It didn't do the trick for me however in certian instances I can see it would be useful.In my situation here something is still hiding out on this thing and changing everything I do on every reboot.  As for me I will stick with LINUX

No comments: