Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Using The Terminal

I know when i first started using linux about 8 or 9 years ago when I had a problem I would turn to forums and I would read a lot. I remember looking at all of peoples information neatly displayed however never knew how to get it myself for about the first year or so. there are several ways to get it but the fasted way I have found is with a Terminal and the DMESG command since you can do it without root permissions and such.


CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz stepping 07 Booting processor 1/1 ip 6000 Initializing CPU#1 Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 5999.15 BogoMIPS (lpj=2999575) CPU: Trace cache: 12K uops, L1 D cache: 16K CPU: L2 cache: 1024K CPU: Physical Processor ID: 0 CPU: Processor Core ID: 1 Intel machine check architecture supported. Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#1. CPU1: Intel P4/Xeon Extended MCE MSRs (24) available CPU1: Thermal monitoring enabled x86 PAT enabled: cpu 1, old 0x7040600070406, new 0x7010600070106 CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz stepping 07 checking TSC synchronization [CPU#0 -> CPU#1]: Measured 1095 cycles TSC warp between CPUs, turning off TSC clock.

this is an example of what you will get of course you will get a lot more information than this I just took out some of the information on my cpu for everyone to see.

Using the terminal scares a lot of people but you should get used to it and take advantage of it it is a very powerful tool that can actually save you a lot of time. when I use Ubuntu I almost never use the GUI for updates and do an [apt-get update] from the console. Just be careful and know what you are doing when using a Terminal in root because you can damage your system.

No comments: